Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Reflection

I've been a reader of Simple Mom for almost two years now. She is guest-blogging at
(In)Courage today and is challenging us to reflect back on 2009, so we can be better in 2010. This is nothing about resolutions that will be broken, but it is more of a reflection. Leave me a comment if you plan on working on this reflection yourself. I'd love to read your list.
Happy 2010!
Reflection Questions for 2009
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
My husband and I charged through our final classes to finish both of our degrees mid-December.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
H1N1 x 5 stole the fall season from us. It was by far the scariest and sickest experience we have faced. We are still dealing with the after-effects of it with strep throats, ear infections, fevers, nasty coughs, etc. I don't recommend it to anyone.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
It wasn't totally unexpected, but my brother and his new wife are expecting a baby in March. They are giving us the titles of aunt and uncle for the first time!
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
We got orders to a perfect location, close to home. We were supposed to leave this fall, but our orders got delayed until this coming summer. After a lot of prayer and deliberation, we decided to cancel our orders all together. It was an extremely difficult decision, but we know we made the right one for our family.
5. Pick three words to describe 2009.
Challenge, Success, Exploration
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Accomplishment, Flexibility, Strength
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).
Adventure, Responsibility, Success
8. What were the best books you read this year?
This question makes me sad! I didn't finish one book for fun this year. I only read school books that included topics on Ethics, Public Speaking, Religion, Philosophy, and Medicine. I started a lot of books in 2009, and plan to finish all of them in 2010.
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Family and close friends. As we age, it has become easier to embrace close friendships, rather than give pieces of us to acquaintences.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
James 1:19, patience, learning to say "no."
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
This year, I have really learned how, as a parent, we need to hide some of our emotions from our children, especially in stressful situations.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
This year has been a Jeremiah 29:11 year for me. I especially like "The Message" version, "I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
My body was definitely last on my list of priorities this year. I let myself go. In 2010, I plan to get my body back, and take care of my skin better. With that said, I've got some major waxing to do tonight!
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I have tried to be an encourager and a positive force with the relationships I have nurtured this year.
15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
Purging our things, consigning, donating, and decorating.
16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
I have definitely slacked with the laundry and meal planning this year. It has been a year of "wash what you need" and run to the commissary an hour before dinner and quickly throw something together.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook. I took 6 online classes this year. All of the classes had discussion boards that required posting in response to classmates. While I was waiting for replies, I would waste time on Facebook. In 2010, I plan on limiting myself to 1-2 visits/week.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Reading to the kids. Our family loves books. The kids grab a basket and fill it up with books in the morning. We work our way through them throughout the day. When my daughter is home from school, we take turns reading to the youngest two.
19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
I learned that "my plans" are not mine. They are His. He knows what is best, and if I give it all to Him (everything, not just bits and pieces), He will bless my life.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.
Rollercoaster!

1 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my very favorites. Loved your list:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin