Monday, April 6, 2009

Nudge, Not a Whisper

This morning I woke up at about 5:15am from a horrible dream. It was one of those dreams that results in a nasty lump in your throat and leaves your heart racing. After a dream like this, it is virtually impossible to fall back asleep. I got out of bed, got dressed, and decided to check my email and Facebook upstairs. This weekend we bought a laptop for myself, so I thought why not make some coffee, turn on the news, and surf the net downstairs instead?
The thought of a day full of laundry kept haunting me, so I started the coffee and decided to start a load and straighten up the house as much as I could while my coffee brewed. I got quite a bit accomplished, then went to get my coffee. As I was pouring my hot cup of goodness, I felt a familiar nudge. I ignored it for about two seconds, then I felt it again, and again. In the few seconds it took to get my coffee, Satan was working. It's amazing how sneaky he is, even in the quiet of my morning, in the security and warmth of our home.
"I want to just sit and relax before the kids wake up, Lord."
"I'll do my devotions during nap time, I promise."
"How about one cup of coffee with the morning news and Internet, then I'll get to you?"
Does this sound familiar to you?
I know that my day flows more smoothly if I start it out in prayer, praise, and devotion. Most of the time my selfish side doesn't want to make that commitment. I want "me" time. This morning I listened to the nudge, and was blessed. I was able to read an online devotion that discussed something that has been weighing on my heart and mind for awhile now. While reading, I listened to my morning praise music on Pandora. I was able to work on laundry and wake up our oldest and get her ready for school without rushing and nagging. I was able to greet my husband with a morning kiss and not a grumble. I hope that your morning is blessed and that you take the time to respond to that nudge from God.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin